Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From the Cape to the Point ...


Cold Fire ...

I've had a camera – in one form or another – for more than three years now. A Canon A520 was swiftly replaced by the mighty S3 IS and, a year ago – after two years of heavy work, it gave way to the Nikon D60, a DSLR without auto-bracketing or intervalometer. These cameras, and the pictures they've taken, have taught me much and stand to teach me far more than I can imagine right now – not all of it about photography.

I've been fiddling with images over the past couple of weeks; making photographs. In the processing, a couple of lived truths have coalesced to realised thought.

First, a generic image, direct from the camera, is raw material for many more. No iteration of one picture is merely a copy – it is another photograph altogether. Secondly, these photographs bring themselves into being. All I can do is try to draw them out. I cannot make a photograph that does not reside in the material given me, but I can make countless with that which is there. What I draw out or 'extrude' is up to me, my native imagination, my ill-informed knowledge of what is possible, and my hammer-and-chisel skills on decidedly unremarkable computing equipment.



Suburban Warfare ...

Despite having accumulated tens of thousands of images, I'm driven to go out and take more as I find new ways of building, making, expressing, framing, or bringing photographs into being. A vast, unfathomable reservoir of possible photographs grows way beyond my capacity to process it. My filing is up to shite and I'm clueless as to how I get from A to B. I've no idea what informs my approach to each picture other than a vague restlessness to move it towards what I feel it to be. That state of being is extremely subjective – and dependent on space, time, place, and where my head is at as it juggles and shifts shades of light through trial and error.
Convergence ...
I have ascertained what others like to see, and am pleased that they occasionally do so. (I'll be forever indebted to colleagues for their criticism, advice, and feedback.) Frequently though, I find myself wondering at the bland perfection of a picture well received. I've a feeling I like to get my pictorial hands dirty rather than aim for qualified or restrictive conformity.

As for processing, there comes a time to stop. Either the image is made to the best of my ability or I have failed to make anything of it. It is either a photograph or it is not and I'm the arbiter of my success or lack thereof. I'm comfortable with what I see or I'm not; rested in its finality or dissatisfied with elements of it, ready to let it be or content to let it revert to raw material I can revisit. For a graphic illiterate, this is a fascinating education in what motivates me, in what I see and feel, and in what I choose to communicate or keep hidden – for much of the content of my galleries is decoy material, written off but not removed, the trappings of a former self left to mislead.



Into the sun ...
Finally, and I guess most importantly for this dilatory blog, Mike Golby's Cape Point has grown geographically from where I took that first shot of the caverns beneath Cape Point's cold sea cliffs – and decided to follow the lens to the chill tunnels leading into the rock, to encompass the Cape Peninsula or anywhere else I might find myself with my camera. It's a qualitative shift from chronicling images of a place to trying, wherever I find myself, to discern the photograph in what I see.

I guess I should now admit it – photography's becoming something of a hobby for me. And yep, I will grow out of the D60, move on to more advanced cameras and better lenses, and – one day – get that shot I'm looking for.

3 comments:

JW van Heerden said...

Limitations have always served as an impetus for creativity, either in the arts or in industry. Restrictions are good for you... within limits.

Mike Golby said...

Couldn't agree more, JW ... only by coming to realise and accept our limitations – fair or not – do we come to realise ourselves (in a very real and practical – rather than hippy-dippy, new-agey way). Generally, life's workarounds enable us to circumvent its obstacles – within limits, as you so rightly observe.

Brent said...

Mike
Taken a look at your blog on and off for a few weeks now - just wanted to say it's very inspirational, and has prompted me to visit there more that I have in the past.

There is much to explore. The feeling of wilderness is still held here, while much of the rest of our coastline is destroyed by human habitation.

Your imagery brings it to life in my office, more than one photographic trip has been planned accordingly.